The Eiffel Tower is a wrought iron lattice tower on the Champ de Marsin Paris, France. It is named after the engineer Gustave Eiffel, whose company designed and built the tower.
Constructed from 1887–89 as the entrance to the 1889 World’s Fair, it was initially criticized by some of France’s leading artists and intellectuals for its design, but it has become a global cultural icon of France and one of the most recognisable structures in the world. The Eiffel Tower is the most-visited paid monument in the world; 6.91 million people ascended it in 2015.
The tower is 324 metres (1,063 ft) tall, about the same height as an 81-storey building, and the tallest structure in Paris. Its base is square, measuring 125 metres (410 ft) on each side. During its construction, the Eiffel Tower surpassed the Washington Monument to become the tallest man-made structure in the world, a title it held for 41 years until the Chrysler Building in New York City was finished in 1930. Due to the addition of a broadcasting aerial at the top of the tower in 1957, it is now taller than the Chrysler Building by 5.2 metres (17 ft). Excluding transmitters, the Eiffel Tower is the second-tallest structure in France after the Millau Viaduct.
The tower has three levels for visitors, with restaurants on the first and second levels. The top level’s upper platform is 276 m (906 ft) above the ground – the highest observation deck accessible to the public in the European Union. Tickets can be purchased to ascend by stairs or lift (elevator) to the first and second levels. The climb from ground level to the first level is over 300 steps, as is the climb from the first level to the second. Although there is a staircase to the top level, it is usually only accessible by lift.
- Extra: There may be more details in Wikipedia
- Address: Champ de Mars, 5 Avenue Anatole France, 75007 Paris, France
- Height: 300 m
- Construction started: January 26, 1887
- Architect: Stephen Sauvestre
- Go to website
- Angus Davidson: Having never been to Paris or the Eiffel Tower I’ve always wanted to see it. When I got to it the structure simply blew my mind. It’s absolutely incredible and any tourist in Paris must at least go see this amazing tower. I went right to the top and night time and everything looked so small yet so amazing. I got so many great photos while making my way up.
- Pranab Bhattacharjee: The Eiffel Tower is a wrought iron lattice tower on the Champ de Mars in Paris, France. It is named after the engineer Gustave Eiffel, whose company designed and built the tower. When I visit Eiffel tower place that time temperature was ‘0’ in ground & -2 in top of tower. Its just memorable place for me. If you plane to visit Eiffel tower then try to go middle of day time & should stay in tower to view night charming, there is 3 step where lift stop and people are visit inside the tower. But I like 3rd/top step in tower where you can full vision of Paris!