Giganotosaurus is known from very fragmentary remains.
Taller and longer but slimmer than Tyrannosaurus rex, Giganotosaurus lived millions of years earlier and in South America not North America.
Giganotosaurus had 3 fingers on its hands, not 2 like T.rex. It may have hunted Argentinosaurus.
- Extra: There may be more details in Wikipedia
- Pronounced: gig-an-OH-toe-SORE-us
- Meaning of name: giant southern lizard
- Length: 12.5m
- Weight: 8000kg
- Teeth: long, blade-like and serrated – ideal for slicing
- Diet: carnivorous
- Food: other animals
- How it moved: on 2 legs
- When it lived: Early Cretaceous
(112 – 90 million years ago)
- Found in: Argentina
- Taxonomy: Dinosauria, Saurischia, Theropoda, Neotherapoda, Tetanurae, Avetherapoda, Carnosauria, Allosauroidea, Carcharodontosauridae, Giganotosaurus
- Named by: Coria and Salgado (1995)
- Type species: carolinii